Bringing you the "Good News" of Jesus Christ and His Church While PROMOTING CATHOLIC Apologetic Support groups loyal to the Holy Father and Church's magisterium
Home About
What's New? Resources The Church Family Life Mass and
Ask A Catholic
Knowledge base
AskACatholic Disclaimer
Search the
AskACatholic Database
Donate and
Support our work
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
New Questions
Cool Catholic Videos
About Saints
Disciplines & Practices for distinct Church seasons
Purgatory and Indulgences
About the Holy Mass
About Mary
Searching and Confused
Contemplating becoming a Catholic or Coming home
Homosexual and Gender Issues
Life and Family
No Salvation Outside the Church
Sacred Scripture
non-Catholic Cults
Justification and Salvation
The Pope and Papacy
The Sacraments
Relationships and Marriage situations
Specific people, organizations and events
Doctrine and Teachings
Specific Practices
Church Internals
Church History

Sandesh Shelke wrote:

Hi, guys —

I have question regarding my faith. I am a baptized Catholic and I married a Hindu girl by Hindu rituals.

Because our marriage was not performed in the Church, I am not allowed to receive Holy Communion. I don't want to hurt my wife's faith and I also don't want her to convert to the Catholic faith but I wanted to start receiving Communion again.

  • Is there any way that I can start receiving Holy Communion?

Please let me know.



  { If I married outside the Church, according to Hindu rituals, is there a way to receive Communion? }

Eric replied:

Dear Sandesh,

You simply need to get your marriage blessed (technically referred to as convalidation) by a Catholic priest. It won't hurt your wife's faith. Just tell her that as she wanted a Hindu ritual, so you want a Catholic ritual.

Hopefully she will understand.

You should also bring this matter up in the Sacrament of Reconciliation, sometime just before the wedding. Just explain the situation as you did to us. You see, because in the eyes of the Church you are not married to her, having marital relations with her is technically a grave sin until the blessing of the Marriage. This is why you can't receive Communion . . . because you are presumably in a perpetual state of unrepentant serious sin (if you are having relations with her). You don't have to necessarily tell her this, but you would do well to abstain from marital relations and confess what you've done to a priest until the convalidation of your marriage takes place.

Admittedly, this may be tricky, but do the best you can. If you can work it out with your Confessor, you may be able to receive Communion if you confess and resolve to abstain from marital relations until the convalidation.

May God give you the grace you need!


Please report any and all typos or grammatical errors.
Suggestions for this web page and the web site can be sent to Mike Humphrey
© 2012 Panoramic Sites
The Early Church Fathers Church Fathers on the Primacy of Peter. The Early Church Fathers on the Catholic Church and the term Catholic. The Early Church Fathers on the importance of the Roman Catholic Church centered in Rome.