Hi, guys —
I am a devout Catholic; born and raised Catholic, and a (CFF) Children's Faith Formation teacher who is very faithful to the Church but I've encountered this unique situation.
For five years I've been in a relationship with my second cousin. (I'm not sure if he's referred to as a first or second cousin). We can't seem to fight off these feelings for each other and they are now too strong for us to simply back away.
- Is it a sin to love and possibly marry a second cousin?
This year, we decided to take our relationship to next level, which is Marriage. It is really important for us to have the Church blessing for our marriage. I've been getting mixed answers from various priests.
- Is this at all accepted or is it considered a sin?
- Can we have a sacramental Marriage? e.g. Marriage by the Church
Here is some of the background of our families.
- My grandmother and her grandmother were siblings with a different father (same mother)
- My grandfather and her grandfather were siblings with a different father (same mother)
- I call her mother Aunt.
- Will I be turned away from the Church for continuing on with this relationship?
I appreciate your time and thoughtful consideration.
Hope to hear from you soon.